Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Finding Joy in the Daily Grind

My diet and I got creative! I can only have liquids and protein. So I froze Gatorade and then blended it up and made ice cream! Pretty proud of myself!!

Hello everyone!
I am alive!! haha So for those of you who didn't know I was pretty sick last week. Sheesh I feel all my emails should be titled, the struggle is real... haha Missions are definitely not for the weak! I came out thinking this is going to be the best! No homework or no working everyday.... Pfff how wrong I was. Although the reward has been awesome. God blesses those He calls. In my opinion, almost never right away but through perseverance and patience God always comes through. He promises that. 

So yes this week was another struggle. It all started in the Afternoon of Martes (Tuesday). My companion had a pretty bad cold so we couldn't do much tracting. He had this wicked cough that wouldn't stop for about 5 minutes every time so we couldn't visit a lot of people either. So after lunch, we were resting for a bit in our house and all the sudden I felt it........ I felt like my insides wanted to be on the outside.... I thought I just had to go #2... again I was wrong. You know a great invention I should make? When you have whatever I had/have, they should make a toilet sitting across from a toilet. So you can do your business sitting down whichever way it comes out... No joke it was pretty bad. I would get done and then it would decide to come out the other side. Gosh that was so miserable. So for about 3 hours this went on... And this wasn't even the worst part! The worst part was the night! I was up all night sitting on the toilet or sitting up because I couldn't lay down without my stomach freaking out. I remember looking at the clock hoping it would be close to 6:00 so we could go get some more medicine, but it was barely 11:30... That right there was the saddest moment of my mission. But anyways, we called the nurses to tell them what was going on so they set up an appointment for me at the hospital but it wasn't till tomorrow afternoon. So that whole night I was thinking about Alma the younger and when he said, racked with eternal torment... Everyone just take my word, repent now so that you don't have to be racked with eternal torment.... haha Lesson learned! I still don't know what I have, the nurses or doctors don't know what I have either but I am on this diet now. But I am so so glad I can finally eat!!!!! For about 4 days I had nothing but a little water and Powerade. It was brutal. I am so sad because all my clothes fit loosely now...but I am doing better now. Still on a liquid diet pretty much but starting to incorporate a little bread. A little miracle though during all of this. I asked my companion to give me a blessing and it was really brief but really powerful. Simply it said you will be able to get through this, but this is a part of life and how we need to go through hard things in this life. At the time I wasn't too happy to hear that! But now thinking about that night, my relationship with God grew a ton! ha I relied on Him every second of that night. The rest of the week was pretty chill because we couldn't do much. We only went to appointments that we could set up through the phone and that were for sure and then contacted on the way there and on the way back. It was actually kind of impressive how we were able to set up our days and work around both of our sicknesses. God definitely played a role in that. And also thank you guys so much for your prayers. I really need and appreciate them. 

So changes were this week. Elder Jacobs and I are still stuck together. I feel sorry for the guy because he has been here for 6 months!! Not in a row but this is where he started his mission. Then he got changed out, and this is his 3rd change in a row here. Its good though because he relies a lot on me to get him motivated so we work good as a team. He talks to people and I tell him where to go. My Spanish is coming along still but this Sunday was really hard for me. So there are usually 4 elders in the ward but the other elders got moved out and President left us two in charge of the whole ward and also the other elders sector. So we are going to get in shape this change!! But this Sunday was hard because everyone was asking us to come over here and introduce ourselves to people and to give blessings and to set up appointments. Elder Jacobs is a champ for getting through that. So they would try to talk to me, then they would get frustrated and I would have to drag Elder Jacobs from his other conversation to communicate with the person I was talking to... Man this Spanish thing is hard!!! Everyone says at 6 months it will all be alright. It is going so slow right now hahah But I am trying to enjoy every moment and try to love the people in other ways than telling them and talking to them. I usually smile a lot and laugh even though I have no idea what they just said.. haha Yeah I promised myself I would never be that guy but here I am.... 

But one great thing did come out of this week! Even though we didn't visit a lot of people. We felt we needed to visit this one person who has been out of town for about a week and a half. He is one of our investigators. An investigator that has been through all the lessons about 5 times and is still meeting with missionaries. Its good but frustrating. But this time we talked about baptism and we just plain out said right after the prayer, What is keeping you from getting baptized? My comp said that and I was like ddaaaaang! But I knew it was from the spirit because he opened up finally and said that he hadn't been reading and he really didn't know in his heart if all these things were true. I didn't talk much but at the end of the lesson he agreed to read and pray everyday. I felt that we needed to ask him to prepare for a date and put him on date for Baptism. So in my broken Spanish I did that and reluctantly he said yes!!! So if all goes well, we will have a baptism in 2 weeks!! I was so excited!!!!! That is really what we needed because we both were getting down about how we didn't really have any success last change. The other lady has been cancelling on us (the one who my first baptismal invitation) But I'm not giving up on her! When you think about this as saving souls instead of just doing your job, it changes your whole perspective. I think that applies to life. to really why we are doing things and not just going through the motions. Enjoying that daily grind. I know, for me at least, I say I'll be happy when... But we really wont! We have to fall in love with the daily grind and work towards our goals. I think that is the key to enjoying life. Never being complacent, but loving every second. 
I love you guys!
Good luck this week! don't eat anything uncooked or that smells bad! haha 

Elder Reynolds

Elder Reynolds and one of the AP's, who is going home!

Elder Jacobs!!!! They are good for each other :)

These Elders are the ones who were in their ward but now are gone.
They became really good friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment