Thursday, June 28, 2018

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON...

Teaching English to our little class!
Hello Everyone,
To start off this email...I'll title it LIKE FATHER LIKE SON.
Well this week did not turn out like it was planned...but when does life ever go that way anyways?? lol Plans changed pretty drastically starting from Monday. Of course we are here in Puyo so you have to enjoy the wildlife and the nature. So we went to a monkey zoo that was pretty legit! I think I sent pictures last week. Left out a few because of...obvious reasons lol. So we were pretty bummed at this zoo because even though it was pretty cool, we didn't get to hold the monkeys! We were totally psyched about that but when we found out it's all just looking it kind of dampened our animos (cheers). But as we were leaving...prayers were answered!! We saw a couple of monkeys that were out of their cages! So what do we do??? We go play with them of course! So we went over there and started taking pictures, playing with them having the time of our lives. Our dreams came true! But as all good stories have a turning point, the monkey did too. My monkey friend decided to turn on me and bit me! (It was a small bite not going to lie) and then they both ran off. As we were waiting for the bus to take us back, I thought to myself "hmmm a monkey bite." Is there anything bad that can happen from monkey bites? I know we have to call the doctor if we get dog bites or cat bites...but they don't tell you about monkeys! So I talked with the Elders that were with me and we then remembered that the tour guide told us not to touch or play with the monkeys that were not in cages because they didn't quite belong to the zoo...haha gotta love Puyo! So as a precautionary step we called our doctor and he was pretty chill and said to go to a clinic there in Puyo and ask for a rabies treatment. Ends up here in Puyo, the medical side isn't too hot. So casually we start to look. All the hospitals close at 3 and 5 and the only hospital available was an abandoned paintball course that I think they use for a hospital too. We go in there and we barely made time because they were about to close too! So if you come to Puyo, don't plan on dying from the nighttime on. Just wait til the next day. Little safety tip from the jungle life haha. So as we were waiting we get a call from the doctor and this time his voice is a little bit more anxiety filled. I guess he found something and I have to get the shot today! Or I'll start evolving into my original monkey ancestors lol. So we with a little bit more urgency try to get their attention before they close. We went to the assistant of the doctor and tell her directly what is going on. Before this conversation I didn't really think about the situation and how the story would sound to another person. It went something like this..."Umm, maam we need some help. We were in the jungle part of Puyo visiting a zoo and a wild monkey was there and it got mad and bit me. Can I get a rabies treatment?"....Here we are 2 gringos fulfilling the what not to do in the missionary handbook... DON'T LOOK LIKE A TOURIST ha I don't think you can get anymore naive or touristy than 2 gringos looking for a rabies treatment because they got bit by a monkey. Anyways this lady is like "what?" Trying to hold back a laugh she asks me to explain what happened. So at this point of explaining more in depth of what happened I am pretty sure she isn't asking these questions from a medical standpoint, rather a Facebook post or social media post that is bound to get lots of looks. She tells me to wait here and she goes where the doctors are and I don't hear anything and then I hear a burst of laughter coming from this room....GREAT! So after all that passed they finally let me see the doctor. We talk it out and yet again I have to tell the interesting story of how a monkey bit me. He kind of looks confused still and I think he hasn't been trained very well on monkey situations either because he tells me that he only has authorization to administer treatment to dog and cat bites no mas (no more)...and then proceeds to tell me that its alright that if I start showing symptoms of rabies I can come in and get the treatment. But until then...hang tight. Hang tight??! Okay, sounds legit. Luckily, God has prepared me for this trial in my life through the experience of a very close family member who had the same thing happen to him that caused a lot of...lets just say unneeded stress haha. So from this experience long ago, and knowing from common sense that rabies isn't so much of a play around sickness, we called the doctor again in Quito and says Well, we will see you tomorrow here bright and early!" We ended up leaving that same night to get there before I start growing a tail ha. I know I'm mixing up rabies and evolving into a monkey but its the same isn't it? So this week we have traveled to Quito various times so that I can get one shot that takes about 15 minutes. I'm just happy to be here haha!! So as a tribute to a Father's Day email, here it is! Love you!! Have a great week!!! Don't get bit by those wild monkeys!
Elder Reynolds

After hearing this stressful news about his monkey bite, there is good news this week...
Elder Reynolds is coming home NOVEMBER 20!!!!!

The happiness of seeing a monkey isn't all that you think...
money bite...
Traveling in the middle of the night to Quito
ER in Quito Ecuador
Traveling again to Quito (photobomb lol)
Travel time is over 6.5 hours and the bus ride costs around $10. They had to go 3 times last week.
Elder Reynolds normally takes a lot of bus rides because of his assignments as a Zone Leader. A couple of weeks ago on a bus ride, he was robbed. He fell asleep and they took his bag and went through it. They took his camera with his SD card and all his money.
Service at a finca!
The church in Tena Ecuador is the 2nd floor of a building!
The glasses help me at least look like a professor!
Teaching English!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment